Klussendorf Blog

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Nature Boy

As a reward for lasting a year at work, and riding my bike 4 days of 5, I got a new ride! Something that'll handle fatter tires and fenders, winter is coming. A single-speed cyclocross bike, All City Nature Boy.

Why?
  • I like the 'cross bike format. Tall, fast, tuff enuf. Everything you need, nothing you don't.
  • From Minneapolis All City bikes. Took this picture from where Barb and I got married.
  • Named not for communing with pristine single track. No, yet another Minnesota wrestler, Rick "Nature Boy" Flair.
Impressions.
  • Components: brakes adequate, otherwise fair to good.
  • Nice frame, good fit and finish for a Taiwanese build. Nice details, trick dropouts. Well designed with just the right attachment points for rack, fenders, lights. Or not.
  • Geometry is cyclocross-messenger hybrid. Steeper angles, faster turning, aggro.
  • Heavier than my Bianchi Axis 'cross bike, despite of having 19 fewer gears. I even spent a few more bucks for it than the used Axis. Still a great deal and happy to have it for mudding through the winter.
  • Angry Catfish cycles. Outstanding. Josh and crew do great work. Got me fitted, upgraded and kitted out for no additional charge. Stop in.
Sister Karen has been placed on a low-header diet. Doctor's orders. So my first trail ride I took one for the team. Shot over a five-foot berm I've been over 50 times. This time they've scooped out the far side with a backhoe. I carry enough speed to easily crest it, and I'm committed to riding the 80-degree downslope. Back brake all the way and don't even think about touching the front. The front wheel makes it down and starts rolling away. Before it occurs to me that I may have cleared it the front digs into a little hump, just enough to stop us dead and I eject over the bars. A few scrapes, a little blood and we're rolling again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home